Wednesday, March 6, 2019

Proper Orientation for Racking Routers

I need a reality check folks, because apparently I'm racking my networking wrong according to my employers CTO and CEO.

A pair of switches are in each server cabinet, on the hot row side, in the middle of the rack for neat even wiring. This is only approved for the sake of neater wiring apparently.

The network cab has a Juniper MX240 (with a set of Gruber rails underneath as a failsafe), Juniper EX4500 (four post racked), Mikrotik CCR (for flexible tunneling, wasn't my choice). These are all racked at the top, with the front/ports facing into the hot row like our switches. There are also client servers racked in the same cabinet (also not my choice).

I feel that the hot/cold side doesn't matter temperature wise as long as the fans are pointing in the right direction, and for the fans on the sides like the MX240, it won't matter either way. As for cabling, as long it's managed properly, I don't see any issue with that.

Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks!



No comments:

Post a Comment