Thursday, March 21, 2019

PIM routing multicast

Hi guys,

We are testing out multicast routing for an upcoming project and have managed to set up DVMRP in on some test switches but also wanted to try PIM. DVMRP was easy to set up but I can't seem to get PIM working.

We have three switches set up linked via layer 3 point to point VLANs and OSPF. One is acting as the core and two are hanging off this as edge switches. We then have separate VLAN on each edge switch to connect the multicast end points to. I have tried enabling various commands for PIM but can't seem to get the multicast routed. DVMRP works fine on this setup. Am using Alcatel switches so is really hard to find any documentation for these beyond official config guides. Following the config guide I enabled everything I thought would be needed and still no joy.

I have enabled on each edge switch:

enable multicast globally
enable PIM sparse mode
enabled the point to point and end device IP interfaces as PIM interfaces

On the core switch:
enable multicast globally
enable PIM sparse mode
enabled the point to point and loopback IP interfaces as PIM interfaces
added the loopback IP as CBSR
added the loopback IP as candidate RP

When testing I can see the multicast sources on each edge switch but don't see anything on the core or receive anything from other edge switch. I can see each switch as a multicast neighbour. I am new to multicast and have gone through a lot of guides but most online stuff is for Cisco and the CLI style is totally different so not of much help. I know Alcatel isn't very common.

Any help appreciated. Cheers.



No comments:

Post a Comment