Wednesday, March 20, 2019

Need some help clarifying something for me

I'll be honest, I've never done Router-on-a-stick or deal wtih SVIs much. My enterprise exposure has been largely 65xx series and Nexus 7k series doing all the routing/switching integrated. Access switches like 3750s and 2960s were just Trunked back to our cores and all routing done there. So I just want to get something right in my head while i'm working on CCNP troubleshoot at the moment.

In regards to running an IGP on DSWs and CSWs inside a network that have the various Layer 3 SVIs, if i trunk a pair of DSWs together and share vlans across, the IGP instances will work across those trunks too, same as if i just had a pair of routers or 6500s talking to each other, correct? (Obviously assuming the IGP is configured right, either per interface or per instance).

Is there any extra configuration, like setting up the IGP instance inside the VLAN data itself that i should be aware of or just treat the SVIs on the DSWs/CSWs as if they were routers linking to each other normally and be done with it?

I mean, the way i see it, is if you give the Vlans an IP address, put those on trunks between each DSW/CSW and their interfaces are running an IGP, it should work same as if any routers were just linked together (assuming IP routing was running on the DSW/CSWs)



No comments:

Post a Comment