Friday, March 29, 2019

Looking for opinions on switch monitoring

I'm hitting the tail end of rolling out a bunch of new Cisco SG250s and integrating some 2960s at 15 or so sites. We've also rolled out wired 802.1x. I'm in the process of re-thinking my monitoring, which has pretty much consisted of a few SNMP traps and ping alarms. I was wondering if I could get opinions on what you folks are using.

Basically I'm just looking to monitor changes on ports, unexpected MACs etc. We've had trouble with folks trying to plug in random junk in the past.

I'm currently evaluating ManageEngine OpUtils and have also evaluated PRTG. I'm not a huge fan of PRTG's per-sensor licensing model and visual aspect. Oputils seems to be more what I'm looking for. However I'm just playing pretend network admin since my company doesn't have one yet. I'd be grateful for any more seasoned opinions.



No comments:

Post a Comment