Friday, March 29, 2019

Gigabit to Gigabit Per Second

Can someone tell me how this conversion works? I was reviewing alarm thresholds set by our network admin in PRTG and I saw his calculation for Gigabit per second to Kilobit per second was strange. It began to make me question my understanding of data rate and network speed.

He pointed me to this website http://endmemo.com/convert/data%20transfer.php and proved his point through this calculator. Of course, I still was not convinced since the conversion did not explain why/how it was calculated.

The website's result for a ethernet (10Gb) are as follows:

ethernet (gigabit): 10

gigabit/second (Gbps): 9.313226

kilobit/second (Kbps): 9,765,625

Please tell me im not crazy to think that a 10Gb circuit that our ISP is providing = 10Gbps = 10,000,000Kbps



No comments:

Post a Comment