Thursday, March 7, 2019

First time using fiber - Having problems

We're trying to setup some IP cameras at my work, and we have some that 500 to 1500 feet away so we are running fiber out to them. I've got everything setup but I can't see anything on the network that is connected via fiber. Was wondering if anyone had any pointers. Not sure if the switch requires any special setup or if it should be all plug and play.

I attached a NETGEAR GS728TP-100NAS to my existing network. I have a CAT6 cord running into port 1.

I'm using Cisco GLC-LH-SM 1000BASE-LX/LH SFP transceiver modules

I'm running this singlemode fiber: https://www.fs.com/products/29608.html 167meters, SC UPC Simplex connectors

I'm running these adapters to hook the fiber to the transceiver modules: 1ft Fiber Optic Adapter Cable LC (Male) to SC (Female) Singlemode 9/125 Duplex https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004W8B906/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

At the other end, I'm running this switch: Amcrest Gigabit Uplink 9-Port POE+ Ethernet Switch with Metal Housing, 8-Ports POE+ (Plus) 802.3at 96w SFP Optical (AGPS9E8P-AT-96) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073V4QRXQ/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And after that switch, I have my POE IP Cameras hooked up

The LED for the SFP port on the netgear is not lighting up when I plug anything into it. The LEDs on the front left of the switch are not lighting up either (Power, Fan, POE etc) but the #1 Port LED lights up and shows activity.

I can also login to the webmanger for the Netgear switch but it also shows the SFP port as being Link Down like nothing is connected to it.

I've tried swapping different fiber pairs on the fiber cable and swapping transceiver modules and trying different SFP ports on the switch with no difference.

I'm not running anything fancy on my network. I just have standard Windows 10 PCs on it with a couple POE switches running IP Cameras, all using 192.168.1.x IP addresses.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

********EDIT************

Thanks to the fast replies below, we got it up and running!



No comments:

Post a Comment