Sunday, March 10, 2019

Cisco 2911 Dead Console Port

I am having an odd issue with a Cisco 2911 that I have at a remote site. I inherited this mess from the previous guy who seemed to go out of his way to screw over his replacement.

Anyways, I am trying to break into a Cisco 2911. I have no idea what the password is and no one else does either. When I connect to the console I don’t get any output, and I know the cable is fine because it works with everything else at the same site. I have tried changing the speed and it doesn’t help. I’m wondering if the previous admin issued the no exec command to the console port. Last night I scheduled an hour of downtime to just reboot it and recover the password, but I ran into another odd issue. When it booted into rommon mode, everything looked fine and I got the output from the boot process, but when it got to the rommon > prompt, the output died again and I couldn’t type anything in.

The device is EOL, end of support, should I just give up? It works fine in normal operation, but I can’t login to the device or get any visibility into it. I am supposed to replace it in the next 2 months with a PAN firewall, but getting the config would help me a lot for seeing existing ACLs and NAT policies. Any ideas?



No comments:

Post a Comment