Friday, March 22, 2019

Career Fair Update!

Original post here: https://www.reddit.com/r/networking/comments/b31x3x/career_fair_for_5th_graders/

I thought I'd share my experience here in case anyone has a similar need in the future. Overall, the career fair went pretty well! I ended up just having the Meraki dashboard up showing my home network. I talked about the 2.4GHz spectrum, showed the kids the spectrum analyzer and location heatmaps and talked about things in your house that might degrade your wireless signal. We also connected to my phone's hotspot and looked at the signal graphs in NetSpot, then wrapped the phone in aluminum foil and watched the signal drop off. Just about every kid raised their hand when I asked about online gaming and we had a bunch of Fortnite, Minecraft, Roblox and Rocket League players. Everyone knew that low ping = good but didn't know what ping was, so we passed a ball student to student through the room and back and timed it with a stop watch. I had one kid drop the ball so we had to "retransmit" our packet. They kept wanting to repeat that and see if they could get a lower "ping"! Thanks again for all of your input!



No comments:

Post a Comment