Thursday, March 21, 2019

BGP Multipath across eBGP and iBGP peers

Diagram: https://i.imgur.com/DRcmX84.jpg

I'm working with a pair of Cisco ASR1002hx routers that peer with an external IAAS ("Cloud") Provider. HSRP is used as the FHRP from the firewalls for now. The firewalls are not configured for any sort of dynamic routing, and it's another group that manages them, so that is somewhat out of my control.

We have a single 10G link connected from each router to the external provider, peering via BGP. If possible, I would like both of the links/routers to be sending traffic active/active at all times. I understand that return traffic load sharing is a different story and not concerned about that right now.

I tried turning on "maximum-paths eibgp 2" on both of the routers. Judging by the CPU jumping from 1% to 50% on both of them instantly, I realized I must have caused some sort of routing loop, so I removed it. It did show both (ebgp + ibgp) destinations in the RIB when I did this, however.

Is there any simple way to do multipath from r01 to both r03 (ebgp) as well as r02 (ibgp) without causing a loop?



No comments:

Post a Comment