Thursday, March 28, 2019

Any good reads on LLDP-MED?

I've tried reading up on PoE+ where I came across LLDP-MED being used to negociate PoE between a Switch (PSE) and a powered device (PD). - As far as I've learned some PD devices need to get the appropriate message from a PSE in order to get more juice and actually boot up. However beyond the full LLDP-MED spec (a rather large read), I've truggled to find a documentation explaining these things.

Netgear (managed switches) and Ubiquiti (EdgeSwitch line) are both based on Broadcom FASTPATH and can enable 'ex-pse' and 'ex-pd' described as " LDP extended PSE TLV" or "LLDP extended PD TLV" respectively. The closest I've come to get more details about what these TLVs do is Rukkus mentioning something as extended Power-via-MDI - is it the same is one of them needed / recommended to be enabled?

TL;DR: Can anyone point me into the right direction where I can read up on this topic?



No comments:

Post a Comment