Wednesday, February 20, 2019

VAR Sales Engineer tired of Sales life.

I want to go back inside (IT Ops) but I’m afraid of the brain dump impact sales has left me. I left my Network Architect job 18mo ago for a VAR sales engineer gig.

Additionally I can probably expect a 40% pay loss and back to 8-5 M-F rigid hours where as now I work my own hours and do about 50% travel.

Anyone else feel confined to the overly charming sales life with high pay, soul-sucking customer relationship management, and zero technical challenge?

On the other side I’m trying to count my blessings: aggressively saving money and working on my MBA.

I’m just afraid I will get left in the dust if I stay in sales too long - I’m missing hands on experience with the cloud/SDN evolution. Or maybe I should suck it up and finish school and then try to go back inside for a higher job (IT Director, etc).

Anyone have any advice?



No comments:

Post a Comment