Tuesday, February 12, 2019

Is a router what I need?

Hello r/networking! I am a graduate student working on a project and was hoping you all could educate me/point me in the right direction.

I am building/operating a remote observatory inside of which there is a primary computer and a dozen or more network connected devices, many of which have a fixed IP address. Currently the primary computer is the only device connected to the outside world. It is connected to the nearest internet-connected network via media converts and fiber. IMPORTANT NOTE: this outside network will not always be the same and I do not necessarily have any control over it whatsoever; it may be DHCP or static. The remaining devices are all on an internal network being hosted via a switch and network card in the primary computer. I remote connect to the primary computer and can access/control all the devices.

I would like to add a router to the system which would host all the devices including the primary computer on a static IP internal network. The outside network should only see one device, the router, but I want all the devices on the internal network to be able to connect to the internet through the router.

Not necessary, the follow abilities would be beneficial:

- The ability to 'tunnel' through the router and remote connect directly to a device via IP address

- The ability to remote connect to the router, via SSH or other, and access devices via a terminal or a browser(some devices have an html GUI).

- Extremely stable. This is a remote site and on-site troubleshooting means driving multiple hours, assuming weather even allows access. Everything is on a UPS but power outages can last hours to days and it needs to be able to restart on its own.

- Rack-mountable

Is a router the correct device for my use case? Any product suggestions or guidance on what I should be looking for in the enterprise market?



No comments:

Post a Comment