Tuesday, February 19, 2019

Is the CCNP R&S worth the effort?

Our organization has been growing at a good pace for the past few years and our networking team is growing with it. The work load has been shifting from break/fix and application driven projects to proactive network management / future planning and I'm being asked to perform more of a senior role. I have fair amount of experience in most areas of cisco networking market. I'm strongest in voice, meh in routing, and weakest in UCS. Our network topology is not terribly complex, so there are quite a few scenarios I've never faced. On the face of it, the CCNP R&S sounds like a good direction to improve my skill set in the right aeras. However, I'm concerned that the curriculum maybe be bloated with sales pitches and useless theory. I want to study to become a better Network engineer, not just to take a test. A CCNP is a nice mile marker and looks good on a resume, but is it worth the time and effort for me and my company? If so, what is the best study material/ curriculum for both practical knowledge and passing the exams? If not, what would be a good alternative course of study?

Edit: I have several CCNAs, but I felt exploited by Cisco after taking (and still passing) the Collab.



No comments:

Post a Comment