Thursday, February 21, 2019

Can someone help me make sense of this wizardry..

Hi, everyone. I'm somewhat new to the networking and security side of things and I'm trying to wrap my head around some concepts. I've worked in telecommunications for a number of years (field technician) and have had some exposure but I've decided to take the leap and self-study my way into the realm of security. I'm close to taking my A+ cert currently to start climbing that ladder but if someone would be so kind to help me understand a few concepts better it would be much appreciated.

  1. When incoming data is sent to a gateway/router, attemping to reach a client that has had no previous request sent for such data, how does the gateway handle that incoming traffic? Is it the job of a Firewall to prevent those frames from entering the network or is the data forwarded to the client regardless? If so, how does a client handle unsolicited incoming traffic? Is it dependent on whether client is listening on that port?

  1. How is unsolicited incoming data "dropped" by a network or device? Are those electrical pulses dumped onto a grounding wire?

(Attempt at an example if it helps..)

SERVER_A is sending a HTTP response to HOST_A over the internet, though HOST_A never made a request for it. What happens?

Sorry if these questions seem "elementary". Thank you for taking the time to read and respond!



No comments:

Post a Comment