Friday, February 8, 2019

Best way to test Cat5e POE+ for drops caused by the power draw

So I have some long Cat5 cable runs a customer installed and am trying to determine if they are an issue. The runs are between 35 and 200 feet and are POE+ (48 Watt) devices. I don't get drops if I just plug a laptop in, and the drops in total are very low but still a problem due to some high speed devices on the network.

What is the best way to test if I'm getting interference from the POE+ power over that long line? Hooking a computer or tester up won't do much good if the issue isn't with the CAT5 cable but is being caused by the high power draw over a long distance interfering. Anyone have a good way to test to determine that is what is causing the drops? I can't tell the customer to replace all the cabling without some sort of data to back it up even if it seems incredibly likely that is the issue.

I'm going to measure the cable runs on Monday and will have more data about precise length and total number of drops. I don't know why the hell they installed cat5 on a critical application. They didn't bring me in until after they had some issues.



No comments:

Post a Comment