Friday, January 11, 2019

switch status / redundancy / active / standby

I'm used to single switch "stacks" when I deploy. That is not what is currently happening.

We're putting out 2-5 switch stacks, and one thing is seriously bothering me. I come from the cable world where something in "standby" means its literally "off" but its hot and ready to go at a moment's notice.

Im looking at show switch detail for a 3650 stack.

Switch# Role Mac Address Priority Version State

------------------------------------------------------------

*1 Active 1234.5678.9101 1 V02 Ready

2 Standby 2345.6789.1011 1 V02 Ready

Stack Port Status Neighbors

Switch# Port 1 Port 2 Port 1 Port 2

--------------------------------------------------------

1 OK OK 2 2

To me this says that switch 2 is not going to be able to be active in tandem with switch 1. This is being built as a non-redundant system. (but with redundant links).

Am I overthinking this? Cisco documentation is shit.



No comments:

Post a Comment