Friday, January 11, 2019

How should I have these switches

Hi all,

I have a large deployment network at work and we could be imaging anywhere between 500 - 900 systems a week. So this deployment network gets hammered (We are a system integrator).

I took over the role around 2 years ago and I'm trying to improve things for reliability etc etc...

I've been looking at the switches and trying to figure out the best way to have them configured in order to have the best performance and reliability. We have around 20 switches.

Am I right in thinking it's best to have one of these switches as a 'master switch' and then have the 19 switches that go to various ports around the building all link into this one switch. At the moment the switches are daisy chained into each other before eventually plugging into a switch where the router and servers are plugged in.

If I configure the switches this way, would it give me better performance but potentially giving me an issue of the master switch dying one day (as hardware can), but can easily be replaced.

How would you do this? The business has grown massively and I want to make sure that I offer the best reliability and performance possible.



No comments:

Post a Comment