Saturday, January 12, 2019

Just been switched to Salary, any pitfalls?

My org is a small rural ILEC/CLEC provider. Basically everyone in our network operations group has been swapped from an hourly to salary position being classified exempt under "computer employee". They "averaged out" what the over time pay has been on top of hourly citing "making it easier to hire people saying one salary pay rate will help greatly". Overall, everyone is making less than the last year with about 5k~ variance.

Being switched from hourly to salary, I'm not seeing the benefit to me as an employee now. Other than this basically ensuring I'm going from my 8-5 work schedule and ensuring I take my hour lunch to maximize my pay rate for 40 hours. No changes to our PTO structure, no "well if your work is done then the day is over". We're also a 24/7 shop with an on-call rotation still for practically every department involved in this change.

What has been your guy's perception of going salary, either knowingly into a new job or being switched out? This is new to any of us non-managers, and we all feel like we're getting ripped off effectively.



No comments:

Post a Comment