Friday, January 25, 2019

Calculating band width cap for hotel guest network

Hi all,

I am much more into phone and POS work than I am networking, so I'm hoping you could help me with a quick network question.

Client is a 118-room hotel, averages 80% occupancy. They had been receiving a lot of negative guest reviews and complaints about poor wifi speed, so they upgraded to a 250/250 Mbps fiber circuit. The managed wifi provider previously had a cap set on the guest network per-device speed of 5 Up/5 Down, but I was able to get them to go to 15/15 on the new circuit.

My question:

How do you calculate what an appropriate speed cap is on a guest wifi network? Is there some sort of calculation about number of users/incoming bandwidth?

Bonus question: Based on the circuit speed & number of rooms, do you think we could go higher than 15 up/15 down speed cap on the guest network?

I appreciate any insight you can provide. Management wants guests to have the best wifi possible, and I'm trying to help with that. I've done TONS of googling, but can't seem to figure out how to word this question in a way that gets me an answer. I've also asked the managed wifi provider, but not much luck there.

Thank you!



No comments:

Post a Comment