Wednesday, January 23, 2019

802.1X with Cisco SF300 SMB switches and Polycom IP Phones

Hey guys, quick question about these SMB switches with 802.1X and IP phones (specifically polycom but not sure if that is important).

We're currently using mac based port security with a mac limit of 3 addresses which works fine with PCs and IP phones on the same switchport, but it sucks whenever the support team needs to move someone's PC to a new location. I'd like to implement 802.1X to solve this problem but I'm concerned I will have issues because all of our access switches are these Cisco SF300 SMB switches. As far as I know, they don't have the multi-auth configuration ability that standard catalyst switches have to allow you to use a PC and IP phone on the same switchport. So I'm wondering: 1) am I correct that this is a problem and 2) are there any workarounds I can do to get this to work other than purchase all new catalyst switches to replace the SMB switches (something I'm sure I won't be allowed to do)?

Thank you in advance if anyone has any suggestions!



No comments:

Post a Comment