Wednesday, December 5, 2018

Starting over in career?

Hi all.

I graduated with a degree in software development a couple of years ago. Although I studied more programming than systems, my original goal was networking. I earned my A+, and CCNA, but ended up getting a really good job offer a developer/administrator responsible for my company's ERP system and never really used either. I've been doing that for two years and I earn about 70k a year.

Thing is, I'm really regretting not doing something more networking related. As the administrator/developer for this system, I deal with end users on a daily basis, speak with business process owners about leveraging the platform for business process automation and improvement, and code pretty complex solutions for us, but I'm starting to become bored with what I do. I straddle the line heavily between business and IT, and am probably the only member of the IT heavily involved in operations and logistics, which is useful knowledge to learn, but has pulled me away from pure IT and my original goals.

I have a couple of questions.

- My main concern is giving up my salary. I obviously don't expect to make a ton since I have no networking experience. Obviously, I'd be willing to give up some to gain experience, but how much of a cut am I looking at?

- I don't want to go from a relatively important and integral position in IT/operations where I'm working now down to something like help desk. Will any of the experience I've gained so far give me any leg up or will I have to start at the complete beginning?



No comments:

Post a Comment