Thursday, December 20, 2018

iBGP behavior in a Totally Stubby Area

I'm setting up an MPLS Backbone, where I've somewhat segregated the MPLS routers into their own Totally stubby OSPF area, just to keep things clean, as I didn't necessarily want to have all of my Area 0 routes getting labeled and distributed across this backbone, and I wanted to only advertise the entire MPLS backbone into Area 0 as a summary route.

The BGP Route Reflectors sit in Area 0. I am advertising Loopbacks on the MPLS Routers into Area 100, and because the area is Totally Stubby, we are receiving Area 0 summarized as a default route.

What's interesting, is that my BGP sessions will not even try to come up unless I create specific static route entries for them on the local router, despite being able to ping them because of the default route into Area 0. If I switch my area from Totally Stubby to just a regular Stub, this works as well.

My platform is Cisco IOS, not sure if this is a weird IOS thing or if iBGP really wants a more specific route than default in order to try to initiate a connection.



No comments:

Post a Comment