Thursday, December 20, 2018

Help me become a Network Engineer Reddit!

Hello Guys name is Jerry i've worked in IT for a little more than 4 years

Linkedin: www.linkedin.com/in/jerryleerico

Was wondering how I could transition from making 64K a year in the silicon valley as a Local IT Support to Network Engineer who makes over 100K a year. I do love networking and configuring routers and switches (Currently apart of the Cisco Network Academy) studying for my CCNA R&S.

I currently only have a Network+ that I just got 2 months ago. Really enjoyed the subject! so now i am working on the CCNA R&S.

A few questions that I had was.

1) What is the expected first job in networking

2) expected Pay for the first job (I live in the silicon Valley)

3) What should I expect in this new field in terms of Responsibilities?

4) Any tips to making the transition from 4 years IT Help Desk?

5) I worked at an MSP before and didn't like how none energetic/ helping the environment was. Also didn't like that what i was looking at in the office didn't really give me any idea what a networking engineers role was. I was only interfacing between Solarwinds/ConnectWise and a lot of the networking tools like NPM didn't make sense to me at first. How can I find a cool fun role where I can take on Support tickets and sustain a network? I am thinking like an environment like Blizzard. They have dedicated network staff. Any suggestions on how to land this type of job?

6) Any tips for a very social guy who like to work on networks but still pop my head out of my cubicle every once in a while in a BIG enterprise environment?

7) What certs are relevant to my current career I kinda described in question 6?

Anyways feel free to give me any feedback you have. I really appreciate your help!



No comments:

Post a Comment