Thursday, December 6, 2018

HSRP interface for superscoped VLAN

So, the last place I worked we did not use hsrp. We used VLAN interfaces on a L3 switch, with an IP address and secondary, then a superscope in DHCP for vlans with non contiguous IP space. I don't know if this was the correct way to do it, but it worked.

Where I am now, we use hsrp interfaces on a 9k Nexus. I'm wondering if we use IP secondaries on those, would it work the same way?

I'm wondering because we're implementing MAB using VLAN names with universal naming schemes (example (not real) user VLAN named USER, voice named VOIP across the board). So our options (I think?) Are either that, because we have some switches with multiple user/VoIP VLANs, or re-IPing.

Alternatively, if there are other options, I'm all ears. Still very new to networking.



No comments:

Post a Comment