Thursday, December 27, 2018

HPE Aruba 3810/5400 stubbornness with non-HP QSFP+ DAC cables

I've recently acquired a number of HPE Aruba 5400R ZL2 switches equipped with QSFP+ connectivity. I've also discovered (the hard way) just how finicky HP is with regards to non-HP branded SFP+ and QSFP+ devices, especially DACs.

Even with "allow-unsupported-transceiver" mode enabled, I've found that it'll still outright refuse to work with most non-HP DAC cables. I've got a few from FiberStore and a few from Cisco, but they're no go. It's been kinder with optics, thankfully.

I'm in need of some QSFP+ cables (JH235A), but I'll sooner rip and replace all this HP gear, forswear the brand for good, and plead mea culpa to the boss before I'll dare pay the current street price of $400 per 3-meter cable. That number needs to drop a zero.

Can anyone recommend any generic DACs that they've had better luck with on the 5400R series, or its smaller cousin, the 3810?



No comments:

Post a Comment