Sunday, December 23, 2018

Client-side Networking Primer?

Hello,

I'm trying to learn more about how networking works from the perspective of a host. I've got a CCNA in routing and switching, so I have a good understanding of networking from a switch/router perspective but I want to know more about how a packet is handled once it hits the NIC of a single host (not a switch or router).

I've seen the term "sockets" or "raw sockets" thrown around, but I'm fuzzy on how a running process within a host interfaces with the NIC of that machine and constructs packets to be transmitted on the wire. How does a service/protocol "open a port" and listen on that port? Is there an OS-level process that runs on Windows that handles interfacing between services that want to communicate on a network and the network itself? Is the Linux solution different?

Any sources for reading would be much appreciated! Google didn't have much on this specific topic, though maybe I wasn't searching for the right thing



No comments:

Post a Comment