Sunday, December 23, 2018

Build or buy 2 piece mesh?

Hi folks. My home network base is located on one side of my house, connected to my PC, a TV and a few consoles. On the other side of my house is another TV, and for most 1080p+ content via Plex, the coverage is spotty and playback suffers.

Currently I have an Asus RT-68U router. It’s a decent router, a few years old, but quick up close, it just has a bit of difficulty reaching the furthest parts of the house, which unfortunately is where the other TV is.

Should I:

  • Scrap the RT-68U and pick up a Netgear Orbi AC3000 mesh system with 1 base and 1 node. This seems to be a more plug and play option and it may save me some real headaches.

  • Buy an Asus RT-AX88u router and use Asus’s “AiMesh” technology with the old RT-68u to build a similar 2 piece mesh. This option gives WiFi 6/ax support, and it would be easier to add a 3rd router down the road if I have problems in the basement I intend to eventually finish in the future.

These are similarly priced where I live and the cost difference isn’t a factor. I just want the best performance all of the time.

Any input? Does anyone have any experience with Asus AiMesh?



No comments:

Post a Comment