Thursday, December 6, 2018

Cat5E fully shielded max length 1000mbps full duplex problem.

Hi,

I have a setup with 2 gigabit switches a long distance from each other (about 70 meters). For routing purposes of the cable, I left it at 100 meters and put metal connectors (for grounding purpose) on the cable. I am unable to get a faster connection than 100mbps. I have tried to shorten the cable to 80 meters with 2 metal connectors and now it is at 80 meters with one metal and one plastic connector. Still no avail.

I know the issue is probably that the shielding is saturating which is blocking the passage of packages. What I don't get is that everywhere on the internet you read about the cables being able to get to 100 meters without an issue. But in my case this isn't working.

  • Is 100 meters shielded cable restricted to 100mbps?
  • If I would like to achieve 100 meters gigabit cat5e, should I use unshielded?

Thanks upfront for the help, I know it might be a stupid question but I'm just not figuring it out and it's my first time using such long cables.



No comments:

Post a Comment