Saturday, December 29, 2018

Am I better off continuing to buy IP transit or should I start looking into peering at IXPs?

Hello, I'm in charge of the network for a small ISP. Up to now we've been buying 10G waves as transport to peer directly with IP transit providers in Chicago, Atlanta, and Dallas. We're up to 70 Gbps of Internet capacity using this method now. For 2019 I've been thinking about changing my strategy a bit by trying to get a 100G wave to 56 Marietta in Atlanta and then collocating a switch and router there using the wave as backhaul back to my network. Then I could join the IXP and peer with Google, Netflix, and anyone else who is willing. Plus, I could cross connect to IP transit providers there more easily (no more waiting six months for individual 10G waves to be delivered by our transport provider anymore). Is this the direction I should start going, assuming the recurring costs for collocation and the 100G wave aren't significantly more than say two 10G waves + two 10G IP transit circuits? I'd really love to hear from anyone who can offer feedback about their experiences joining IXPs too. Is it worth it?



No comments:

Post a Comment