Friday, October 19, 2018

Reasonable rx/tx/session limitations on a network of around 120 people?

Hey guys,

I'm on a shared network and I've noticed that lately the internet has been strangely slow at certain times for all of my devices.

I checked the bandwidth usage on the router and there are one or two hosts hogging most of the bandwidth. One of them in particular has had up to 17,000 concurrent active sessions on the network. I'm assuming he's using some serious P2P software.

I ran some tests with an excess of programs on my own laptop and ran it up to around 500 sessions. So to combat the excessive amount of bandwidth he's taking up I've put a session limit of 700 on the network

My main questions are:

  • Is this a reasonable session limit?
  • What are reasonable rx/tx limitations to place on the entire network to stop this type of behaviour?

I essentially want good internet for everyone. I just don't think it's fair for someone to move in to my building and use 90% of the capacity of our network.



No comments:

Post a Comment