Saturday, October 6, 2018

Looking for a new network stack

Hey /r/networking,

I'm a sole admin for a 50 person development shop. We are currently running Cisco SG300s as our switches, with one of them in router mode doing all of our VLAN routing.

I've been finding them a bit of a bear to manage, especially as we start looking at implementing 802.1x. We also just had one die on us.

I'm also interested in building a pretty basic 10G backbone for interconnecting the access switches to the core, and 10G on our 6 or so hypervisors.

Additionally, we're soon replacing our sonicwall firewall and WAPs.

I've been researching Ubiquiti Unifi Switches and wondered what the professional networking folks take on them were. I've used their WAPs with success, but never their switches.

I'm looking for something with some central management, with 802.1x capability and easy to manage firewalling of the VLANs on the core switch. The only other brand I know well is Cisco, but I'm not up to date on the latest catalyst generation and whether it is a good fit for our use.

Is there a brand I'm not tracking that we should investigate?



No comments:

Post a Comment