Saturday, October 6, 2018

Building a Network Troubleshooting Flow for upcoming interview. How do you expert troubleshooters do it? Best practices?

I applied for a new Network Support Engineer job where troubleshooting is a huge part of the interviews.

I need to look at this from a expert troubleshooter's eyes.

It will be heavily Cisco based.

I'm trying to close all the gaps and make sure I don't miss any holes.

Usually how I go about troubleshooting a potential connection issue with a network, I:

  • Check other websites to see if it's isolated or widespread.

  • Ping gateway(this points out if it's in your LAN) -> ping 8.8.8.8(this points out if it's your WAN) -> ping google.com(this points out that your DNS is not resolving)

  • Check nslookup if it's resolving properly.

  • ipconfig /all to see configs are correct.

  • To figure out the network, I tracert -d 8.8.8.8

Am I missing anything?

Now the problem will likely be in the LAN since it's Cisco based and a router or a switch will probably be misconfigured in Layer 2/3.

I'm not sure the proper flow for this, what I would do is:

  • tracert to gateway oops silly mistake here

  • Plug into console and log into switch/router

  • show running config/ip int brief and see anything suspicious such as a shut down port or misconfigured protocol, mismatched speeds/vpn keys

What else should I do to cover all my bases?

Thanks a lot! I really want this job and I don't want to look foolish in front of a panel of network engineers so I thought to ask.



No comments:

Post a Comment