Saturday, October 6, 2018

Any recommendations for SOHO WiFi AP's?

I'm in a work-from-home office.

My house is wired with cat5, but I still need WiFi throughout a large property, for certain things.

I'm currently using 3 Apple Airports which has provided coverage until now. But one Airport recently died, and whilst I would have bought another, it turns out Apple have ceased production.

So my next stop was to look at Google WiFi Hubs, but after asking around in the GoogleWiFi subreddit, I've come to the conclusion these aren't best suitable for my needs, for various reasons.

What else is there?

  • I'm a software developer, and I run a lot of servers on my LAN (both physical and virtual on VMWare ESXi server), my own DNS and DHCP etc.

  • Main edge router is a NetGate pfSense device, which I really like so far. I guess I'm kinda sitting somewhere between consumer and enterprise requirements.

  • I want to avoid Cisco devices, at least ones which don't have a web gui. I did have a Cisco enterprise router/firewall at one point using Cisco IOS, but it was just far too time consuming for me to get to grips with.

  • It's been suggested I look into Pakedge and Araknis devices, which I'm doing now and the Araknis gear looks useful. Any thoughts?

  • Finally, cost is not a deciding factor, but I'd like something not too cryptic to configure, and something which is pretty robust, performant, and with a well defined maintenance lifecycle. Ie I don't mind splashing out a bit so long as it will do me for a good few years

Any other recommendations (I'm UK if it matters)?

Thanks



No comments:

Post a Comment