Friday, September 21, 2018

Upgrading A Subdivision from ADSL to Fiber

So I just recently moved from Panama City, Florida to Kerrville, Texas. Back in FL we lived in a semi-rural neighborhood. But even with low population density we still received cable internet (Comcast) at about 180 down and 25 up. When we where house hunting in Texas, I was also doing a bit of research in internet providers. When we perchance our current house, the only ISP that was not wireless or satellite was ADSL (Windstream). At the time I did not know much about ADSL. After we had our internet installed I asked the installation guy how fast my speeds where going to be. He said somewhere between 5 and 10 down and 0.5 up. This was very disappointing for me considering I was expecting 50 down and 8 up (See pictures) So after a couple days of research I came to the conclusion that my speeds really could not get any faster, due to the distance between me and the "community ADSL box / switch"?

So I was thinking how much money it would be to convert the subdivision to fiber, who would be paying for it, who can do it, or how to do it (If possible).

https://imgur.com/a/iqmRuxU

This is just and idea I had to see if it is even possible.

Any comments would be amazing help!



No comments:

Post a Comment