Friday, September 21, 2018

DHCP Rate Limit

We have dozens of Cisco 2960-X switches on campus. From the time of their deployment several years ago, their access ports have had DHCP rate limit turned on.

ip dhcp snooping limit rate 100

Up until recently, that limit has never been a problem. However, after migrating the bulk of our machines to Windows 10, we've begun to see ports going into the err-disabled state because of dhcp-rate-limit. I generally have at least a couple of ports go down at some random place on campus every day.

I could just turn off the rate limit, or turn on port recovery, but that's just sticking my head in the sand. I'd like to know what's causing this, but can't figure out a way to track it down because it's so sporadic. Any thoughts on what would cause that much DHCP traffic in a second? Have you seen anything resembling this? I feel like it's related to our Windows 10 migration, but perhaps that's only because I have no other change to point to.

Our hardware is Lenovo with an Intel chipset. We're just using the Windows 10 provided drivers.



No comments:

Post a Comment