Friday, September 14, 2018

Unable to PXE boot when plugged into wall port

I'm not sure if this is the correct sub, but I've posted in /r/sysadmin and didn't get much feedback and I think it may be a network issue after further investigation.

I have a tablet that I'm unable to PXE boot whenever I plug the tablet directly into the wall port. However, if I plug a 5 port unmanaged switch into the wall, and run a cable from that switch to the tablet, I'm able to PXE boot just fine.

The error I'm given when plugged nto the wall is 'No such file or directory exists.' The file does exist, as I can navigate to the share and I see it (also because the switch workflow works). This is an entirely flat network, so no VLANs, and everything is on the same subnet. The switch does pull a valid DHCP address from our subnet too when it's plugged directly into the wall

Here's a diagram showing 2 scenarios. The left one doesn't work, but the right does.

https://imgur.com/a/U7qXLYX

Any ideas?

Edit: I think I found the issue, but I don't know why this is the case.

The tablet (specifically a Getac RX10) will not PXE boot when plugged into the wall. A normal laptop (Lenovo T450, Dell E5580) will PXE boot fine when plugged into the wall. So it must be something with the tablet that doesn't allow it to respond unless it's plugged into the unmanaged switch. But I'm not sure why.



No comments:

Post a Comment