Wednesday, September 12, 2018

Seeking Cisco switch memory use per process via SNMP

Hi guys,

​

I'm trying to get memory use per process via SNMP for some Cisco switches (3750s and 3560s).

​

The CISCO-PROCESS-MIB exposes cpmProcExtMemAllocatedRev and cpmProcExtMemFreedRev and I've found a link that suggests subtracting freed from allocated (https://networkengineering.stackexchange.com/questions/19114/cisco-process-memory-usage)

​

Unfortunately this doesn't seem to provide sane values- often my freed is greater than my allocated (I daresay because some memory is freed in the time it takes me to gather the allocated and the freed).

​

At any rate, looking at the output of the show processes memory command shows that Allocated and Freed may sometimes be the same and the interesting looking column is Holding.

​

Switch3#show processes memory

Total: 101037052, Used: 28865600, Free: 72171452

PID TTY Allocated Freed Holding Getbufs Retbufs Process

0 0 37220448 8809344 25419448 0 0 *Init*

0 0 14112 1167376 14112 0 0 *Sched*

0 0 4171182032 4171456888 469920 5795316 421352 *Dead*

1 0 1560 1560 8464 0 0 Chunk Manager

2 0 192 192 3904 0 0 Load Meter

3 0 34736 44552 7592 0 0 SpanTree Helper

4 0 0 0 6904 0 0 Check heaps

​

I can't find references to Holding anywhere in that MIB, so- does anyone know how to get memory holding per process via SNMP? (I haven't been successful in Googling it)

​

Thanks



No comments:

Post a Comment