Wednesday, September 26, 2018

Network Plan for Startup with IP-Based Production

Full disclosure, I'm not a network engineer, I have a degree in Telecomm, but it's been a decade since I wrote a routing table. However, I'm currently working for a couple startups and as anyone in the startup world knows, you just gotta figure some things out sometimes.

The network I'm trying to build is pretty straightforward with one exception, we do IP based production and I need a 10G copper network for that VLAN specifically (that can also talk to the Wireless VLAN). (We're doing a lot of IP-based production)

I've mapped it all out here in LucidCharts. I was just hoping to get some advice on products that work well together and can achieve this, and also be as cost effective as possible.

I was going to try to stack Netgear's PROSAFE 10GB switch with their PROSAFE 1GB switch but they couldn't really tell me if they stacked and I could configure them as one; plus neither supported POE for my APs. I've also heard Brocade stuff is good and reasonable, but I haven't found a good 10GB copper switch

For the APs I was planning on Ubiquiti's Unifi solution, since I don't have to pay for a cloud subscription; but I know Netgear has a similar offering, everyone else at this point I'm sure. I've heard great things about Cisco's Meraki, but I also heard you have to pay a monthly fee for their cloud mgmt. I've just worked with Ubquiti before, but if there's something better I'm all ears.

Really I was kinda looking for an all unified solution, but I don't think one exists yet. So I'm kinda just asking "What would you do" for this kind of setup. Looking to get hardware recommendations and any advice the community would be willing to share.

Thanks,

TumTum



No comments:

Post a Comment