Wednesday, September 26, 2018

Need Help determining which switch traffic is flowing through

I have a Hyper-V guest that has 2 vNICs on 2 different subnets, both on the same VLAN ID 2 within a virtual switch.

The host that the guest resides on has direct connections to a SAN switch and a server switch that contain the 2 subnets, the SAN switch communicates on VLAN 1, the server switch on VLAN 2.

What I cannot determine at the moment is how the guest is able to communicate to the SAN considering the vSwitch it's on is using VLAN 2 not VLAN 1 and I cannot tell which physical switch the guests packets are flowing through.

I have tried tracert (shows next hop is the destination)

I have tried netstat (shows on-link, so direct connection)

I have tried Wireshark; however, I am not certain exactly what to look for with packet flow, when I do an ICMP request it simply shows the source and destination but not the path of how it gets there (i.e. which physical switch)

Anyone have any ideas?



No comments:

Post a Comment