Friday, September 21, 2018

MTU size confusion

I'v been struggling with a slow speed issue lately, and After playing around with the modem's settings I figured out that it was caused by the MTU and TCP MMS values.

So after reading about how to figure out the optimum MTU value using ping 8.8.8.8 -f -l 1452 command in the CMD and keep increasing it till Packet needs to be fragmented but DF set goes away, and then adding 28 + highest MTU value you get without fragmentation etc..

Now, I noticed that if I arbitrarily changed the modem MTU value to let's say 1480, the highest MTU value I get without fragmentation using the CMD command is 1452 which is (1480 - 28 ).

And if arbitrarily set it to be 1440, the highest MTU value I'd get without fragmentation using the CMD command is 1412 which is (1440 - 28).

So it seems like this method is not accurate at all, I'm not an expert in networking so I would appreciate an explanation as to what's happening there and if there's a better way to figure out the maximum MTU and optimum TCP MSS values for my connection.



No comments:

Post a Comment