Friday, August 3, 2018

Small Router Recommendation

I have been tasked with building two routers to handle multiple full tables and IBGP between them (all 10G), running VyOS, with a budget of $2500.

I could proceed and build dual e5 systems to handle everything, but after getting tired of finding a reliable benchmark on an Intel 10g NIC for 64 byte packets (needs to handle short ddos attacks without dying), I've decided on the Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Infinity (ER-8-XG).

The only problem is that it doesnt support hardware LACP, which really sucks, but I can get around it with ECMP based BGP from the core and vice versa for the default route. Otherwise it ticks all the options to handle full tables.

The core is a QFX5100, which gets a full tables from our providers but only accepts very specific AS paths for optimal routing between sites.

So the question comes down to this, do I continue with server builds or push for the Ubiquiti router and suffer with the problem. I'm also all ears for other small routers that fit within $2500, a pair preferably but can be 1 based on the hardware specs.

Thanks!



No comments:

Post a Comment