Saturday, August 18, 2018

[RANT] When your internet's out at your apartment for day's due to a layer 2 issue ...

Wall jack stopped working. More than that, the WAN port on my firewall is suspiciously fried ...

Happened Thursday, soonest availability Sunday morning. For something I could fix myself in 5 minutes with the network closet key (even if it meant unplugging someone to use a different switch / port) ..

Yeah. Doesn't help the guys I called don't know what a fucking cable tester is or what a cable tester not listing off link speeds means and are asking if "I have a triangle." Even putting it in terms of no light on a port using a real PC didn't satisfy 'em. Gotta have the triangle. Gotta try going to google ... speed test ...

I'm drunk and high key want to strangle someone. Move the damn patch cable to another switch port already. They don't even have any kind of layer 2 isolation set up that would prevent one from doing this .... Bet anything none of its labeled and end up toning the damn thing with my tester since apparently these chucklefucks haven't seen the Fluke logo before.

So not only do I have a few $$$ in ESD damage (going to be running network through my UPS from now on ... replaced a working one w/ one that has a gigabit CAT6 protection circuit instead of downgrading the run to 100mbps) but they can't even pull off a 5 minute fix. Nope. Gotta see the jack. Even though the tester sees all 8 strands and reports well over 100 feet of distance ...



No comments:

Post a Comment