Wednesday, August 8, 2018

[Question] C9500-48Y4C-A StackWise Virtual?

Here is a simplified drawing of my current layout: https://imgur.com/a/KkZeyhh

We're upgrading our 2960-S access switches to 10G 2960-X switches in the coming months. We have a pair of 3850-12XS in a stack for our collapsed core. Unfortunately, the 3850s do not have the port density I need for all of the new 2960-Xs to have 10G uplinks. I could stack another 3850 in place, but we are growing to a point where we've decided to move to an actual aggregation switch model: the C9500. This would remove the old 3750-X from the picture entirely, and move all of our access switches directly to the 10G core.

Proposed setup: https://imgur.com/a/PmiPfjN

Our VAR informed us that the C9500 is equivalent to the 4500-X and did not stack like the old 3850. Instead they use a newer version of VSS: Stackwise Virtual. They also gave us a great deal on a pair of C9500-48Y4Cs -- they were even cheaper than the C9500-40X that I was originally looking at. UADP 3.0, more port density, 25G and 40/100G capable--so we have much more flexibility in the coming years... It all sounded great.

Let's jump to today. I've discovered that the high performance version of these C9500s are not currently capable of Stackwise Virtual. I read the datasheet on this switch and I must have just missed that the particular model we bought doesn't support it. So I've got a pair of these suckers soon to be shipped to our location that will not be capable of hardware stacking or Stackwise Virtual.

My question: Has anyone heard when we might be getting Stackwise Virtual on the high performance series of 9500? I have to imagine it's on the roadmap for these since the current versions already support it. Secondly, I would assume the only way I could hope to achieve ECMP on these 2960-Xs would be to use static routes on each of them? I'm just trying to come up with some way that I can have some hardware redundancy in our core until we get Stackwise Virtual on this model.



No comments:

Post a Comment