Wednesday, August 1, 2018

Pocketethernet and toner/probe tools question. Have never used either.

I know I need a toner/probe to trace cables in a bunch but I'm not sure what the difference is between analog and digital toners and if I need something special to trace on "live"/"hot" links (cables are connected to a switch already) or if PoE is something to consider.

I basically want to see where a port on the wall leads to on the patch panel and switch in another room. Cat5/Cat5e/Cat6 cables

This looks awesome but not down to spend $2000 as I wouldn't use it daily anyway. NETSCOUT LRAT-2000-KIT LinkRunner AT & IntelliTone Pro Copper Fiber Ethernet Network Test Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007FR6T6A/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_7nJyBbC4CE7B4

I really like the https://pockethernet.com/ I've seen recommended here. I'll probably buy it because getting the switch name, port, and vlan info would really help my current situation. I see it has a toner function so would I just need a probe at this point? The Fluke Pro3000 looks decent to me but I'm a complete noob here. I just need to find some cables a few times a month or so.



No comments:

Post a Comment