Wednesday, August 1, 2018

How to connect to my 3com switch's console port

Hello,

I have a possibly dumb question about my 3com 3824 switch. I bought it refurbished on ebay to keep as a spare. But it doesn't seem to work. (Insert long irrelevant story about not returning it)

Because of that, I grabbed a CyberPower UPS's USB to Serial cable and tried to connect to the switch's console port. But I was never really able to connect in such a way that I could interact with the switch. I'd see some content, but then it would spam me with a bunch of broken characters and it wouldn't let me reliably type.

When the USB to serial cable didn't work, I bought this dinky little adapter: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/7507825604/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Same deal.

OK, this is maybe a newb question, but I haven't used a terminal modem since the 90s. Did I get the wrong type of adapter? I have definitely used the right settings in my terminal emulators. (I keep hearing about "Cisco cables" but I don't know what's different about them) What do I need to do to reliably connect to my switch?



No comments:

Post a Comment