Saturday, August 4, 2018

Established Network Engineers, to get a degree or not ?

Hi folks

I am posting this here because it's not exactly early career advice, so hoping it fits into the senior progression category.

I've been a network engineer for almost 5 years now, and have been a 'senior' in my company for about 2 years. I work for a major UK company with a very large, mixed network (Cloud, enterprise, ISP, Nexus DC's, Wireless, security etc...). I do lots of support, design, network firefighting, root cause analysis, process development and improvement, automation, scripting and much more.

I've gained a lot of great experience and am well respected in my company by my peers and managers. I hold 6 current IT certs including the CCNP R&S. My highest level of formal education however, is that of 'some college'. I have a college cert in networking at NVQ level 3. UK people will know what that means, it's lower than a degree and a diploma, basically a post high school certificate. Everything else I've 'self studied' through books, videos, labs and on the Job learning.

So far I have not experienced any issues whatsoever with me not having a degree, it's almost never been brought up and when it has it's been overlooked in lieu of my talents/experience/certs etc. I've managed to land all my networking jobs so far on the first interview, as I interview quite well and have passed the technical examinations. I'm at a level now though where I'm starting to look around at my peers and can see I am surrounded by people who, on paper, are much more highly educated than me. I've been thinking about Brexit, and how if the UK economy tanks and people start losing their jobs these might be the people I am competing against for fewer jobs.

I have an opportunity to do a masters degree in networks part time at a reputable university. It's cost prohibitive but I can afford it by spreading the payments. I'm in my 30's by the way.

Do you guys think it's worth doing a degree at this stage of my (Somewhat established) career? or even necessary ?

I want to do it, but don't want to put myself through the mill if it's going to be irrelevant to my career progression. Considering I am constantly having to learn new technologies and get certified in them because of my job, it's going to mean a lot of extra study.

I appreciate any thoughts you guys have on this, I'm at a bit of a crossroads and am trying to decide the best way forward.



No comments:

Post a Comment