Friday, July 20, 2018

Which SFP...

Howdy Reddit.

Exhausted all of my local options and navigating the maze that is cisco.com has not produced results that make me feel warm and fuzzy.

Long story short, I'm standing up a new WAN circuit. Provider is pitching me an optical signal, 1300nm, 100 Mbps MPLS. That is all the details I have on the circuit. Is it single-mode, multi-mode, I dunno. Provider is vague on those details and the patch panel/fanout tray jacketing is stripped clear into the wall. @ 1300nm, I'm *assuming* SM. For all intents and purposes, courtesy of the MPLS this is just an incredibly long wire for a point-to-point structure we're standing up. I've pushed 1300nm across MM fiber before, but I felt dirty about it. I'm really not worried about the cable type as much as I'm sweating the SFP.

I cannot seem to find a correct SFP that meets 100Mbps *AND* 1300nm. I'm feeling right stupid about it. It shouldn't be this hard.

My device I'm landing this on is an ISR 4431. I need an SFP with an LC jack. 100Mbps.

I bought this one in the blind:

https://www.cdwg.com/product/Proline-GLC-FE-100BX-D-Compatible-100Base-BX10-D-SMF-SFP-module/2456833, a GLC-FE-100BX-D . Based on specs, it matched wavelengths and speed so I felt good buying it. Then it showed up and half the damn thing is half-shielded. Never seen an SFP like it. I need both tx and rx.

Because I was unsure about this SFP and we're cool with our budget people and RMAs, I also bought:

https://www.cdwg.com/product/Proline-GLC-FE-100BX-U-Compatible-100Base-BX10-U-SMF-SFP-module/2456832, a GLC-FE-100-BX-U . Same problem. Half-shielded.

I've run through the Cisco compatibility matrix, can't seem to find a winner. 100Mbps seems to be what's gumming up the works.

Open to suggestions if anyone has the time. All inputs are appreciated.

- A



No comments:

Post a Comment