Friday, July 20, 2018

How to explain to management what network requirements are?

A little background, I'm currently working for a company that has habitually neglected infrastructure to the point that the business started to fail because of it. The board rallied, fired the problem management, hired new people, and spend a boatload of money. One of those new people hired is myself. I've been tasked with constructing a brand new environment from the ground up, so naturally I schedule a meeting with the CIO to determine the companies network requirements. Unfortunately, the CIO has no idea what I meant, I tried to explain that the network has to meet the requirements of the business and so I just need a list of objectives. The CIO didn't know what that list of objectives needs to entail, and I honestly don't know how to explain what I need at a company, whose business objectives are still brand new to me. Does anyone know a way to prompt non-network people into understanding what I need to know so I can start designing the network?



No comments:

Post a Comment