Wednesday, July 25, 2018

Troubleshooting network performance bottleneck

Generally, I work in the server world - but have an odd network performance issue I'm trying to track down.

I have part of my network on an HPE 1920S 24G 2SFP/JL381A switch, and part on a Unifi USW-8/PoE (Wireless APs power source, and a couple desktop PCs). The two switches are connected with CAT5e, gigabit port uplink. The HPE switch is pretty much stock HPE config - No LACP, trunks, qos, routing enabled. Unifi is pretty stock as well.

When I copy a large file (example: MKV encoded video - 5gb) from one Windows PC to another that are both on the same switch, speed approaches 100MB/sec. However, copying across the Unifi switch to the HPE (either direction), it's generally around 20MB/sec. OCCASIONALLY I see speeds start at 20, and ramp up to 80+. Occasionally, I get near 100 right off the bat, sustained for the entire file copy.

Things I've tried. Turned on flow control on one or the other switches, or on on both. I've disabled SMB 1 handshaking between the Windows PCs. I've uninstalled the Remote Differential Compression feature on all Windows machines. I've made sure the network is "quiet" when doing these tests (keeping the kids off the streaming sites, all other devices blocked other than the test machines). I've tried different Cat5e and 6 patch cables - no difference...

One thing I haven't tried yet due to not having spare hardware around, is swapping out other switches.

Any ideas on how to figure out what/why I'm seeing this slowdown? (other than trying a different switch - it's on my list of to-dos)

(And if it matters, the Unifi controller is running on a Windows VM connected to the HPE switch)



No comments:

Post a Comment