Saturday, July 21, 2018

Trouble with Hyper-V Guest and VLAN networking - DHCP not working

I feel like I have tried everything and am still unable to get this guest VM on the network.

Background:

Running Hyper-V on a Windows Server 2016

Guest is also Windows Server 2016

This is connected to a Meraki MS320 Switch

Switch port is configured to VLAN 80 and set as an Access port (I tried Trunk as well)

Server has 4 NICs, 1 being used for the Host, 2 are teamed for my other guests, and the last one is being used for the virtual switch. I set the virtual switch to external, and set a VLAN ID of 80.

I set the VLAN ID for the Guest to 80 as well.

I confirmed that there was a helper/relay to the DHCP Server but the guest can never get an IP address from the DHCP server. I confirmed the DHCP server is running, I rebuilt the DHCP scope and failover. I packet captured the port and saw that the traffic is indeed tagged as VLAN 80, and was sending both DHCP Request and DHCP Discover to the Broadcast IP but never got an ACK.

What I've tried (no particular order):

  • Checking the Device Manager Adapter settings for the Nic to make sure VLAN is enabled and set VLAN ID to 1 to enable it.
  • Tried to set Device Manager nic adapter VLAN ID to 80 -- no luck
  • Tried the same in the guests device manager -- no luck
  • Rebuilt DHCP scope
  • Recreated virtual switch
  • Set a Static IP -- still unable to ping any other device so probably not a DHCP issue
  • rebooted a few times for good measure
  • I probably tried many other things as well as I've been working on this for well over 5 hours.

Any ideas?



No comments:

Post a Comment